The San Francisco Board Sailing Association encourges as many sailors as possible to attend, and engage NPS in discussion regarding their ideas and to provide feedback.
Please keep the following in mind as priorities:
- Place emphasis on protecting existing user amenities, such as
- Rigging-friendly surfaces (e.g., grass) immediately adjacent to parking. The earlier NEPA (National Environmental Policy Act) documents provided seven acres of parking for 500 cars, including 200 overflow parking spots on the other side of Mason Street, which have yet to materialize!
- Water Access and Rigging-friendly surfaces/parking as far West on site as possible... towards the GG Bridge.
- Restroom placement should remain in or near its existing location, not to be placed at the East end of the East Beach only... since boardsailing usage is at the west end, near the main water access.
- Attempt to separate parking for the general public from that desirable for boardsailing at the West end.... such that general public parking does not compete with specific sailors needs.... e.g,, place as much grass adjacent to and between parking for boardsailing in the middle and behind and to the upwind side of general user desired parking (general public parkng will likely be closer to and along the water/shoreline edge, and encourge general user parking to the east side of the East Beach. This can be done with visual ques and other landscaping and infrastructure.
- Move the majority of the picknic and BBQ areas to the East, in the downwind areas of the site, which will heip to encourage general usage parking to the East and prevent the smoke and smell from wafting over everyone at East Beach.
- Make the West end and SouthWest side of the site, as it is used today, heavily focused with grass immediately adjacent to parking, and permit parking along ALL grassy areas.